Skip to main content

Timing is Everything

Timing is Everything

Streaming services and websites have completely revolutionized the way telenovelas are watched and consumed by audiences. Rather than fighting for time slots and having an entire country turning on their televisions at ten p.m. to watch the best one, countless telenovelas are readily available on services like Netflix or Telemundo’s website. This totally changes the manner in which telenovelas are watched and understood, and it definitely changed my experience watching “La Reina del Sur.” 


We discussed so many times during class about the importance of the timing of telenovelas on their networks. Networks will fight for a good time slot, many times between eight and ten at night. This aspect of competition challenges telenovelas to create something worthy of a good time slot. They have to find a way to impress and engage viewers so much that they become the favorite telenovela to watch out of the many options. In turn, this has caused telenovelas to become increasingly creative and unique. 


The nightly time slots also are a huge reason why so much of the world is on the edge of their seats every night waiting for the next episode of their favorite telenovela to air. This has allowed the telenovelas to become part of a routine for so many. They have also been able to become people’s favorite part of the day, and something that people look forward to as they keep the telenovela in their mind throughout the day, waiting for it to air. 


This massive component of telenovela consumption was definitely changed as streaming services and websites made them more accessible and readily available. Instead of building up anticipation and having to wait for the next telenovela episode to air every night, people can binge watch any amount of episodes at a time. While it is certainly a good thing to have these telenovelas available to larger audiences at their disposals, it also changes the way that telenovelas are viewed. An important reason why they became so widely successful was because they were able to build anticipation and have a huge audience wrapped around their fingers and on the edge of their seats, night after night. Putting them on a streaming service completely changes the way people can watch telenovelas, because there is no waiting game or anticipation built. When a scene ends on a cliffhanger, people are able to get their answer within seconds as they click “next episode.” 


From what I have learned about this situation from watching “La Reina del Sur,” I definitely do wish that I was able to watch it as it came out nightly. It was a lot more difficult to become entranced in this telenovela because I was watching it on my own time. I had the power to choose when I viewed it, and the lack of motivation to watch it on my own time became a chore. I certainly still appreciate “La Reina del Sur;” it is a great telenovela with so many interesting aspects. However, the feeling of being addicted to a telenovela did not feel realistic to me, and I think that was largely because I had the power of when to watch it. I think being able to watch telenovelas on your own time is fantastic for being able to expose a lot of people to so many great telenovelas, but I definitely think that it has some trade off for the addictive aspect.


By Elizabeth Heuser

Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth. I love that you related this idea we talked about in class to your own experience in consumption. While watching my telenovela on Hulu, I often felt the same way. I personally like having the power to control how and when I watch something, but maybe that's just the control freak in me. One thing that stuck out to me about your post is how well it correlates to what "El Chascas" said in our in class discussion via Zoom. He mentioned the differences between writing for tv vs. a streaming service and how this is impacted by "binge watching" culture. As for the idea of time slots, I think you make a valid point that they help increase audience excitement and anticipation. That is how I often feel on Monday nights during The Bachelor. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this post and seeing someone else's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, timing is truly everything. Learning this in our class really shed insight on my typical day and when a telenovela would fit best in my day. Of course it was during prime time hours just like millions of others. Despite being a student and having a completely different schedule than millions of others viewers ,we still share the same time that would be best to watch a telenovela. Because there is only a short window that would be best for me to watch these shows, I am only going to want to watch what is on during that time and be reluctant to watch any other show that airs at a different time. Truly timing of Telenovelas is extremely important in the success of the show.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment