Skip to main content

And That's A Wrap!

       

Coming into the semester, I did not know much about telenovelas but was very excited to learn about them. It meant I could dive deeper into knowing more about them than the stereotype that soap operas are given. Through weeks of learning from Dr. A, watching Yo Soy Betty, la fea, and speaking with writers, a distributor, and an actress, my knowledge of telenovelas has been completely transformed in the best way. These stories are beautifully crafted in order for audiences relate to and empathize with them. The audience learns a lot from the characters they identify with and the characters can shape how they live their lives. I know after this class my heart has been positively impacted by both Dr. A and the many characters she has shown us. 

       I was also very positively impacted by and learned a lot from our guest speakers, as they all had a unique perspective to share. One of my favorite conversations was with the sales manager for Kanal D LatinAm and Spain, Mikaela Pérez. Mikaela had a positive energy that was infectious, and I think everyone left that class at least a little happier. Mikaela spoke on the importance of the relationship between the buyer and the distributor and treating the buyer like a friend rather than a client. Building a relationship is how you will best get to know your buyer and satisfy the needs and desires of both yourself and the audience. Mikaela also moved to Turkey with limited knowledge of the language, away from her home and family. Mikaela's bravery is something I strive to have, as I want to have the confidence to make bold (and sometimes scary) decisions.

            Another conversation I loved was our last conversation with actress Ilkin Tüfekci. Ilkin brought such a calming and bright energy to our class. She spoke about how her fans give her courage, and it was just so sweet to see how impacted an actress is by her fans. Their support keeps her going even on the hard days, which she openly spoke about. She was so vulnerable with us. I appreciated it immensely but was also shocked by that. I never really see the actresses’ vulnerability in interviews, as their managers and PR teams typically have preconstructed responses to questions. When hard questions come up, they typically have a strategy of dodging the question and redirecting the conversation. Ilkin, however, does the opposite. When asked about the tough parts of the job, she did not shy away from the topic. She explicitly said what a hard day would consist of which included countless hours on set as well as an excessive number of scenes to shoot. I was very grateful for her honesty. The love and passion she holds were so evident in everything she said, and she encouraged us all to always operate in a state of unconditional love. I think that is a great piece of advice. When you approach another person with love, you are much more likely to be empathetic and understanding, which will help to deepen your relationship and make you more content overall.

            How has your perspective of telenovelas changed since January? Which Telenovela Conversations stuck out to you? Was there a specific piece of advice given that you think has or will change your life? If so, in what way?

Comments

  1. Nunca presté atención a las telenovelas. No estaba seguro de estar interesado en el contenido de la clase. Sin embargo, escuchar las conferencias, ver clips de diferentes telenovelas y ver mi propia telenovela me ha hecho desarrollar un amor por el drama. La conversación de la telenovela de Ilkin también me llamó la atención, aprecié cómo habló libremente con nosotros sobre las partes buenas y malas de su trabajo. Mi perspectiva sobre los actores cambió. Al escuchar la discusión de Ilkin, así como la discusión con los escritores y directores, se enfatizó que son personas comunes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree with you more as I loved speaking with Ilkin. She truly showed the passion not only that she has, but many have actors have in this industry. While I was skeptical about being an actor on a Telenovela, Ilkin gave me a whole different outlook that truly made me think differently. She spoke how it is truly her passion and made it seem that while she can be onset for hours and hours at a time, she doesn't see it as working because it is doing what she loves and she would have it no other way. Her being so happy and positive made me feel those same emotions and made complete sense why she is as of a successful actor that she is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment